Artistic Residency and Commission Opportunity Winnipeg’s Contemporary Dancers (WCD)
CANADA-WIDE CALL TO ARTISTS OF ALL DISCIPLINES: WCD invites artists working in all disciplines to submit an Expression of Interest to be our Artist-in-Residence for 2018/19. This opportunity is open to individual artists or collaborative teams at any phase of their career, emerging or established. The selected artist or artistic team (the Artist) will research and create a new full-length performance work at Winnipeg’s Contemporary Dancers (WCD), to be premiered at the first show of our 2018/19 season.
This is not a live-in residency. It is a two-phase residency hosted by Winnipeg’s Contemporary Dancers. Phase 1 (research, creation) will take place in Winnipeg, Manitoba beginning after the announcement. Phase 2 (rehearsals, production) will culminate in a presentation of the commissioned performance work in Fall 2018.
Specific dates and number of weeks to be determined and agreed upon by Artist and WCD as required, with a work period spanning a maximum of 6 months.
The total budget for this project will not exceed $50,000, and will be paid in instalments to the Artist over the span of the residency. The budget includes Artist/commission fees, production costs, dancer’s fees, accommodations and travel. Priority will be given to projects that fulfill WCD’s mandate.
BUDGET: $50,000 pending funding renewal (includes artist fees, production costs, travel and accommodations)
Artists wishing to be considered for this residency are requested to submit the following:
- A brief proposal (750 word maximum), outlining your vision for the creation and presentationof the proposed performance work, along with a draft timeline and schedule
- A one-pageCV that focuses on activities of the last 5 years, demonstrating the Artist’s field ofinterest and creative direction
- Support materials (video, audio, still images—see specifications below) 1WCD is looking forproposals that:
- Further the possibilities of performance work
- Stimulate conversations between fellow artists and audiences
- Fulfill WCD’s mandate
- Expand our view of dance and the performing arts moving forward
Established in 1964, WCD is the longest continuously running contemporary dance company in Canada. The power of contemporary dance is inherent in the fact that it requires presence, which has become increasingly important in contemporary culture. Contemporary dance thrives on exploration and cross-pollination. It asks us to recognize and respond to the humanity in one other. At WCD we recognize that some of the most original and intriguing work being produced today results from artists collaborating and experimenting across conventional boundaries. Moving forward, we aim to expand our mandate and explore avenues for the future of contemporary dance and for performance work in general.
WCD strives to create a place on the local, national and international arts landscape to enable vital intersections, linkages and exchange among dance creators and interpreters, interdisciplinary artists, spectators and communities. Our values, programs and activities are based on respect for our history, the ongoing development of our artists and to our place in the community. We are an evolving, responsive arts system. We act as a springboard for the presentation of new and existing dance work. This fosters and advances artistic vitality and excellence in dance. We create, produce, mentor, present and promote professional contemporary dance with a view to championing and furthering the art form for artists and audiences alike. We aim to provide a forum for exploration, originality and invention.
- Artistic merit of the Artist and proposal
- Conceptual clarity and vision of the proposal
- Demonstrated ability of the Artist to produce performance work in a way that respects and challenges participating artists and audiences alike
- Priority will be given to projects that fulfill WCD’s mandate
Proposal deadline: 4 p.m. on 30 March 2018
The Board of WCD will select a short-list of applications for consideration by a selection committee. The selection committee comprises senior artists from the Canadian artistic community appointed bythe Board of WCD.
Deadline: 4 p.m. on 30 April 2018
Selected artists from Round 1 will be asked to submit a detailed project description, one-paragraph biographies for their creative team (if applicable) and a detailed budget (template will be provided).
The successful Artist will be notified by end of May 2018.
Support Material Guidelines
Please supply up to two samples of recently produced work (past 5 years) of the following support materials that best represent your recent work:
- Up to 10 minutes of video and/or audio
- Up to 15 still images
- 1 sample of published material (book/publication)If you work in more than one artistic discipline, you may supply up to two of the above-noted samples, in each of your disciplines.
- Image files must be:
- JPEG (.jpg, .jpeg) format
- RGB colour mode
- No larger than 1.5 MB
Audiovisual files must be:
- Playable with VLC media player (consult www.videolan.org/vlc/)
- A maximum 60 FPS
- A maximum resolution of 1080P (or frame size of 1920 x 1080)
- No larger than 4 GB
Web links to media via Vimeo, YouTube, or website content are acceptable, as long as they correspond with the support material specifications. Artists are also welcome to submit hard copies of media on BD, DVD, CD, or USB key.
Please send submissions to: email@example.com